This addition, completed in 1996, is a more contemporary example of adding to an historic home. The existing house is part of an historic development in southern Alexandria called Hollin Hills, and was built in the late 1940’s and early 1950’s.
The developer, Robert Davenport, hired a design team of Charles Goodman as the architect, and Dan Kiley as the landscape architect. Together the three of them designed and built 200 modern houses on a 225 acre, heavily wooded site. The team worked to save most of the existing topography and as many of the existing trees as possible. The results were houses that were sited in and among the trees, and designed in a style to take advantage of the privacy and the views afforded by careful site design. The original house was one of several prototypes in the subdivision, and was very sculptural and complete. The addition was designed with respect to the existing character of both the home and the site. It was separated from the house and built as a pavilion in the landscape, connected only by a small enclosed bridge. The addition employs many of the original design ideas such as a butterfly roof, transparent corners, and clerestory windows. The result is an addition that establishes a strong identity, complements the existing house and landscape, and defers to the significant historic value and quality of the original idea.
Cited in Hollin Hills - Community of Vision, the addition is viewed as being consistent with the “original design intent, and character defining features of the original homes and landscape.” The addition received both an Award for Excellence in Architecture from the Northern Virginia Chapter of the American Institute of Architects, and an award for Excellence in Architecture from the Virginia Society of the American Institute of Architects.