Oak Street Cottage
Originally built in 1891, a stone’s throw away from the old Washington and Old Dominion trolley, this cross gabled Victorian was a landmark in the area once known as Sherwood Farms. The two-and-a-half story, clapboard and shingle house was called the Graham House, named after its original owners. Over its 115 year life, the house was modified and added on to several times and started to deteriorate. Poorly designed diminutive additions were added to the rear creating small, awkward, low ceiling spaces that became irrelevant to the modern user. The house was in serious need of a significant renovation and restoration.
The current owner restored the original house room by room, paying close attention to detail. After all of the original interior and exterior spaces were restored, the owners decided to remove the awkward addition in the rear and add a new addition that complimented the original house. The program for the project called for a new family room addition, mudroom and bathroom on the first floor with a new master bedroom suite on the second floor. A dormer was added to the left side of the one-and-a-half story part of the house to maximize the usability of rooms located there. The design of the rear addition was entirely derived from the original house. The details were matched exactly, including the clipped shingle siding, the flairs above all the windows, and the proportions of the windows and shutters to name a few.
The finished product provided a seamless addition to the original house without overpowering the lot. As a renovated house, the finished product fits the neighborhood, restoring its standing as a landmark, satisfying the owner’s needs for house and home.